Governor's Island got its current name in 1784 when the island was under British control "for the benefit and accommodation of His Majesty's Governors." Its strategic location made it suitable for a military facility for the next 200 years.
The land mass of the island was increased using rocks and dirt excavations from the Lexington Avenue Subway line.
In 1811, the Army completed construction of Castle Williams with 8 foot thick walls to defend against artillery.
After other various uses and occupations throughout history, the island was used for recruitment and as a prison for Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War.
In 1966, the island was turned over to the Coast Guard, who occupied it until 1995.
On January 31, 2003 the island was sold to the people of New York for $1 to be used for public benefit.
Here's an interesting juxtaposition of unrelated objects that placed together certainly make a statement.