Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I love the Bean!

In Chicago's Millennium Park sits the giant Cloud Gate sculpture, probably better known as "the Bean." In fact, I didn't know it had another name until I looked it up just now. Who knew? Anyway, this 12 foot high arch designed by British artist Anish Kapoor was completed in 2005 and it's shiny surface inspired by mercury reflects the impressive city skyline. Being a fan of shiny objects in general, well, this is heaven!



The Bean provides a few challenges while taking pictures. First, it's almost impossible not to get yourself in the shot. Second, it's been photographed to death. Knowing this, I decided to focus more on the reflections than the overall Bean itself.






The swirly abstraction, second from the bottom, is what you see when you walk underneath. Awesome!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I love that one from underneath! That thing could have kept me entertained for hours! I am obsessed with photographing reflections. - Katie R.