Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gong Hai Fat Choi! (repost)

I'm having to repost this due to virus laden comments. Ergh.

Gong Hai Fat Choi! or "Wishing You Prosperity and Wealth" for the Chinese New Year. As our most recent cultural outing, we ventured to Chinatown for some dim sum and the parade.

This year marks the year of the rat (and awfully cute ones at that). For an awesome explanation of the traditions and more, check out my friend's blog.



We were in Chinatown insanely early for the dim sum part, so we walked around the streets before the parade started. We got our bags of belly-ache-inducing sweets and checked out a few other shops. I thought this captured the energy of Chinatown - a lot of red with a dash of chaos.



We actually got right up to the barricade for the parade, so were ready to fire away. These people were smart enough to stand in the sun. Of course there's no sun in this photo because those were too contrasty. =)



The parade was awesome and there was so much to shoot it was hard to pick just a few selects to show our experience. I really liked this one though. It has the festive balloons and the falling confetti. I loved the rockets that blasted confetti and little red parachutes high into the air. Well, until one was pointed at my head anyway. I'm still finding confetti in strange places.



Of course the best photo ops came with the dragons. The two person dragons with the big heads and fluttering eyelashes were great, but this was my favorite subject. No Lens Baby, no photoshop trickery on this one. This is pure fun with panning.

No comments: